Tuesday, September 6, 2011

For Literary Heavyweights, Some Light Reading


A visit to Melbourne’s Rose Street Artists’ Market is something I always look forward to with glee, because no matter how often I go, new and delightful trinkets, prints and all manner of beautiful objects await.

At the weekend, an altruistic character gave my girlfriend a painting that she particularly admired (rather breath-taking in today’s money obsessed world!) and I stumbled upon a book geek’s pleasure dome at Daryl Fitzgerald’s Light Reading stall.

Fitzgerald gives Melbourne’s old bricks a new lease of life, stencilling them on each side with titles and pages that appear as antique, leather bound books. He says: “Light Reading gains inspiration from our collective perception of heavy literature. Each brick is a secondhand paver - the texture, cracks and chips are all a result of time and wear.”

It wasn’t easy, but I eventually settled on just two of these gorgeous tomes: J.D Salinger’s A Catcher in the Rye and George Orwell’s Animal Farm. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen certainly gave them a run for their money though. They now grace my shelf as “don’t mess with me” book ends. These lovely brick books can be made to order, so next time you hanker after a literary heavyweight, “Light Reading” will provide.

1 comment: